Saturday, October 27, 2012

My experience with reissue of Passport


I want to share my terrible experience to get reissue of damaged passport. I'm from Guntur,AP from past two years I'm in Bangalore. My passport got damaged with water marks, though it's damaged but it was readable.  I traveled with this damaged passport to France 3 times, no one questioned at France airport anytime during those three trips. but every time when I landed in India, our immigration team screams at me and asked to replace the passport.  So I decided to apply for reissue of passport and also to include my spouse name.

First I registered in Passport website and fill the form. There are two ways you can apply for passport once you login.

  •  First one is you can download the pdf file and fill it, there is a button to validate and save, it generates the XML file in the current directory. Same file you need to upload in the site.  
  • Second option is you can directly fill the form in the website and submit.
  • After this you have to take the appointment with the selected dates.
I selected second option and to took appointment at Vijayawada(No address change) on Feb-12 though I'm staying in Bangalore because I read in the internet that for damaged passport with the same residence address would not have police verification. 
I visited the passport office with Xerox copies and original documents. 
I went inside to passport seva kendra, I  have taken the token number at reception after verifying all the documents as a quick check.
In Countre A, TCS employee scanned the documents and uploaded into system. Took the finger print, photo and fee. 
Reached Counter B, Passport officer verified the originals documents again asked some questions then went to Counter C. They had initiated pre-police verification. That means I will get passport only after successful police verification. 
It's over at PSK. 

Now the story began......

I was back to Bangalore without police verification completes. Police had visited my house later and he came to know I'm staying in Bangalore. My parents tried to convince him to write clear police verification report to passport office. We felt police might have given the clear report but not sure.

My passport status in the passport website shows.

"Police has completed verification process on 10/05/2012. Your passport will be dispatched after 'Clear' Police Verification Report is received at Regional Passport Office. You would receive an email/sms once the passport is dispatched".

I waited for two months I filled  RTI template and posted to Secunderbad regional passport office. In a week I got a reply from regional passport office saying we can't issue a passport because we received adverse police report. You can see the response below.


I went to Secunderabad passport office immediately and approached  broker re-initiate the police verification  in Bangalore address. I paid him Rs 2000/- to get it done quickly. Back to Bangalore. I thought it will done easily. I waited for two weeks, no police verification happened. I inquired in local police station and commissioner office but they did not receive my profile.

Again went to Secunderabad passport office immediately, this time I went on my own instead of approaching broker. At regional passport office(not the passport seva kendra) there was a long Q(I was in Q by 9:30 AM) with 3 counters to go one after one. Finally I closed the passport application at Hyderabad and collected the closing letter. I left regional passport office around 4:30 PM.

After these many struggles, I applied for reissue of passport freshly in Bangalore.

Process at Bangalore

 I applied for Tatkal passport in Bangalore. I took all the below documents.
  1. Company HR letter.
  2. HP Gas connection.
  3. Gas bill receipt.
  4. Airtel Landline connection.
  5. Marriage certificate
  6. Anexure L for damaged passport
I took the appointment at first slot i.e on 9AM on 5th-Sep-12. At the first reception place, they verified all the documents and sent me inside with token number.

Counter A: TCS employee scanned all the original documents, took the fee. As it was a damaged passport TCS employee did not allowed for Tatkal application, need to approved by passport officer for tatkal application in the next counters.

Counter B: Passport officer verified all the original documents and sent to counter C, again a passport office r to decide tatkal or not.

Counter C: I requested him to convert my application to taktal, he said I had a 'Adverse' report on previous application at Secunderabad and this passport is damaged, so can't be issued. I showed him closing letter from Secunderabad and all the letter's in the passport is visible thought it was damaged. He verified the existing passport has clear report(I don't know what he verified) or not. Accepted for tatkal, I paid the remaining fee for tatkal.

Immediate I verified the status in my mobile after came out from passport office.
The status was

"Your passport has been printed and you will get an sms once it's delivered".   How funny :-)

After two days police had come to my home for verification( usually Police verification happens after passport delivery in case of tatkal, here in Bangalore it's very fast) as he received the application. He took Rs 500 as usual. 
The next day after police verification, received my passport on 8th-Sep-12 

Story ended :-( :-)

25 comments:

  1. I have applied passport 2 year back in bhubaneswar, police verification has done but i don wat happened i did get my passport , so i have applied a fresh passport in Bangalore A , B counter has done But C has put me on hold and said that first give your closing letter of the previous one , when i called to bhubaneswar passport office they are saying they don have any record of my passport , so plz suggest me that have i go to bhubaneswar personally to get the closing letter (or my father can collect it on my behalf) or can i get the closing letter from bangalore itself by any chance , Plz reply ASAP , i got opprtunity to go to US i don want to miss it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tatkal Passport Hyderabad
    Excellent piece of information, I had come to know about your website  from my friend kishore, pune,i have read atleast 8 posts of yours by now, and let me tell you, your site gives the best and the most interesting information. This is just the kind of information that i had been looking for, i'm already your rss reader now and i would regularly watch out for the new posts, once again hats off to you! Thanx a lot once again, Regards, Tatkal Passport Hyderabad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there any closing letter or they just write 'closed' on enquiry form.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also applied for re-issue of my damaged passport at BHOPAL, I went through normal process because the PSK BHOPAL didnt allow me TATKAL scheme. I got the police verification done and got my passport sooner. But the story now is such that, I got SMS for police verification a few days back and today I got a call from local police station that the police verification is pending. How in the hell could that be possible since my passport was subject to PRE POLICE VERIFICATION. Add to that, I also had gotten the POLICE CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE(PCC) for New Zealand, and PCC doc requires police verification else its not possible. So either the central govt is wrong here or the police has no idea about the procedure or that the application processes are not brought to a closure once the case is finished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sir, is there any specific format for applying for passport file closure letter or is a simple letter enough requesting closure? and how much it took for you to get the file closure letter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will only print and give letter.you just have to sign.

      Delete
    2. after how many days we can apply for fresh passport after closing the previous application

      Delete
  6. Hi Venkat,

    If there is any cost of closing letter for passport,please give me reply asap,it's very urgent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't pay anything,its been 2years,rules might have changed.

      Delete
  7. Did you take the only the latest Gas bill receipt or 2 bills (last year + latest one)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only the latest one. But the police who visited my house demanded for one year stay proof in that house.

      Delete
  8. Hi
    Right now My Passport Application is on hold.so i want to my close application.Please tell me the procedure of closing my application and how many days it will take to close my Application

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi
    Right now My Passport Application is on hold.so i want to my close application.Please tell me the procedure of closing my application and how many days it will take to close my Application

    Reply

    ReplyDelete
  10. My Passport Application was on hold and closed after one year.Should I mention old application file no when I apply again to connect the two applications

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's better to mention unless something is very wrong with previous application. It's my personal opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's better to mention unless something is very wrong with previous application. It's my personal opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had retired from govt service 10 years back and employed now in a private firm.When I apply for passport what I should put as my employment status now I am in private firm

    ReplyDelete
  14. Was there any fine as the police report was adverse and you closed the file.

    ReplyDelete
  15. When you applied for reissue at bangalore freshly, in the reissue reason option what did you choose, was it change in particulars like address, others etc?

    ReplyDelete
  16. For closing an application at RPO is there any charges?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Mr. Rao,
    I want to know, what is the best possible way to cancel/close the application(with file no) in less time. Coz, I have relocated to different place in months time and my address is changed now. Passport officer put the file on hold to get additional docs for address proof/ resignation letter of previous relocated place etc. Want to re-apply from current location(different from address given in previous one). Is it only option to visit my earlier applied passport office to close the file or sending a letter to passport office to close the application will work. If sending letter will work, Please suggest with the process.

    ReplyDelete
  18. **Update:** Got my first file closed in Secunderabad RPO, and paid fine of 1.5k on Tolichoki PSK, and resumed with second file.

    Check my experience here: **Renewed my expired passport with address change (in Hyderabad)** (https://creekntrails.com/2016/01/30/renewed-my-expired-passport-with-address-change-in-hyderabad/)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have a question. I applied for passport for my daughter in Mumbai but could not get the police verification done as police was asking for extra documents which we cannot produce. We are from Bangalore and if we apply again from Bangalore, will passport people ask why we closed in Mumbai and reapplying from Bangalore and how to deal with that situation?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi i have got a question :
    I applied for reissue of my passport just to add my spouse name. Took the appointment and went through all the counters and at the final counter - verification officer mentioned that i need to submit company id proof - so he given back my passport and took other documents and asked me to submit / upload the company id proof. But i have not done that because i had apply for visa quickly .
    My question reissue application is on Hold( note that i have not submitted my passport to RPO ) - but my passport is Valid till 2023 - Is there a problem for applying the visa ? as there is another application for the passport reissue is on hold ? or it doesn't matter until they put cancelled stamp on the current passport.

    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  21. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. Great work U.S. Passport

    ReplyDelete